Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Rough Journal

My first full day here in Africa has been phenomenal. I cannot believe where I am right now. I am 8861 away from my hometown and I am experiencing something very few people my age can. I am getting an authentic, non-touristy trip with purpose and meaning. After arriving late to Kenya last night, I slept partially through the night anxious for the next day. When we woke up at 6:00 am I was exhausted but I was excited for the new day. We first ate breakfast, British style, with chicken sausage, baked beans and egg on toast. I also drank Passion Fruit, which was phenomenal. We then started to drive to Oltinga, we made a brief stop and a gospel center, which was ran by our Kenyan born friend Moses. It was really nice, and they said they can’t fit all the people in their already large church. We then took a two-hour drive to Oltinga, deep into the bush, far away from the bustling streets of Nairobi. It was the most interesting/ beautiful drive. On our way out of the city you could see various slums and markets. They had so much to sell and are very westernized in many ways, but behind in others. They have a lot of garbage on the streets and it is really sad how unsafe so many houses can be. The mountains were so beautiful and it was awesome seeing donkeys walking down the road. It was crazy because in Kenya they drive on the opposite side of the road. The roads are very small and bumpy, but our driver Mike is awesome. We went out to the drill site and when we arrived there were Maasai people watching the drill. The drill was very load and the weather was very hot. We met some Maasai people who were very kind. It was weird trying to talk to them though because they don’t speak a lick of English. Also, the little children present their heads instead of waving its really cute. You pat their heads to say hello. There was a little girl and boy at first. I ran in my car and gave them both a orange and pick bouncy ball. The little boy loved it, it was a total hit and he was bouncing it all day. His mother was so sweet and came up after me and gave me a beautiful hand beaded necklace made of red beads. I love it.
We decided to go for a walk and some of the Maasai people proudly showed us their goats and cows. On our walk we passed a primary school and it was amazing! All the children were at first reserved, and then they started to slowly approach us. Next thing I know thirty little children surrounded me. They were so adorable and they loved getting their picture taken. They were scrambling toward me trying to get a picture and surrounding me to look. It was a really beautiful experience and it broke my heart to see so money tiny children who looked so hungry. After that we walked back and it was funny because a guy driving his car was hitting on us on the side of the road, I guess guys will try anywhere in the world!
We then waited for water, deeper and deeper went the drill and slowly we say bits of mud. Then all of a sudden, the water sprang out It was really funny because all of the Maasai people were so shocked they jumped out of the way of the water! I imagine some of them never saw water in that form. Some of them ran up at drank some. After the water came out a man came and said roughly “you bring water,” I said yes sort of and he lit up and said” thank you thank you for water. After that we talked to the boys for a while they could speak rough English and the asked me if my hair was real. They also took my camera and took a very bad picture of me. As the water was flowing I took a really beautiful image of a butterfly resting on a branch in water. It was a little weird for me, since my flip-flops kept getting prickets all over them. We then took a very beautiful ride home. We headed to the hotel, which is so beautiful! I can’t believe I am only paying 16 bucks a night here. I am working on some photos for the blog. Check it out.




Today was a less hectic day. Well, sort-of. We got to sleep in which was great and lately I have been knocked out for most of the uneventful driving and at out room. I have just thought of a cool idea for a book: (A day in the life of.. (one day) TO write about Africa using my pictures for children in limens terms for kids to understand.
Anyway. we slept in, hung out in the courtyard where I swung a bit and say the most beautiful tropical bird. We decided not to go out to the site because today was an unexciting day for footage. So we went to a meeting that I did not have to attend and Sara, Audra and I walked around a Nakumart. They got shorted 3 shillings since they were American. I bought a calculator and two hair sticks carved out of wood. They only cost 2.70. After that we went to A Nigerian java place and I had a delicious meat pie and coconut soup. The curry in it was amazing and the spicy pie was really flaky and delicious. After lunch we went to the Market and got hounded by sooo many guys. Before we even walked in three men were talking to us. Also at the Maasai market seven guys were yelling at us to look at the wares. It was a really stressful environment because they seemed to pick on me because I must look kind and young. I bought three paintings for 18 bucks each which was really out of my budget, but it was my first purchase and I was slightly confused about the cost because for the exchange rate. I did however buy two gorgeous pairs of earrings and a beautiful necklace. I think next time I will return with Mike. My friend Audra and I just discussed how there are two Nairobi’s there is the places where the wealthy white tourists/ people live and go that is inaccessible to so many people, then there are places like we have gone that no white person goes. It is like NYC in way that it is all packed in and there is a definite class system. After the market we drove in crazy traffic where there is no stop signs and people will literally get 4 inches away from your car. We then packed up to go see Patricia and her husband. We then took an hour drive to Ngyong, a busy cramped town with a huge market. I definitely got lots of stars and thumps up and grins. It was really crazy because this one guy almost wrecked when he was staring at me. As we were driving out of Ngyong a really adorable boy about 9 stood against a car to star at us when we stopped. I really wanted a picture of him so I gestured to my camera and asked him. He of course said yes and I took a really cute picture of him. I blew him a kiss, which delighted him very much. We then continued on for an hour on the bumpiest road I have experienced yet. It was very painful but one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. The mountains were so lush and green from the rain, the white goats were beautiful and the trees were so gorgeous. The trees were growing out of the rock. I felt I was in another world, almost like being in Avatar. It was so amazing walking by the local people and seeing their shock at our presence. Very few mzungus out this far. At dusk I took some really awesome shots.
When we arrived, Patricia and he husband greeted us. They were so kind and warm. We then met some more Maasai women dressed in their tradition garb. It was so beautiful and colorful. We then went out to see their cows and their sheep. They use an outhouse to go to the bathroom and run their lights on a motor generation with a windmill. It is very intense being in this house with no windows and the sounds of sheep all around me. After we peed, we came inside to talk to Silas. He went to America for school and has three children. It is so interesting to me because all of his children are in boarding school. He says he doesn’t have time for his children even though he must love them very much, the culture is very different here. His wife and him live separately for work and he visits on the weekend. They also said once 20 elephants once came through town. told us how they will constantly see goat, hyena’s and giraffes. Once twenty So in the backyard with sheep being heard in the background us five girls pulled down out pants and peed in a peeing circle!!! It was hilarious. We came in and got to watch them finishing out the food. They were singing a native song in a circle around our food. The moved their necks back and forth and there whole body to project the song. It was really amazing.
Dinner was served to us and it was the most delicious feast. We had rice with carrots, peas, delicious homemade bread, lentils and the most delicious garlic ketchup. We talked to the women through Patricia and they told us there were very happy to see us. They waited four hours to be able to see us and stayed the night. It was really beautiful talking to them. The one woman who was in her 50s had 8 children; the other women in her 40s had six! They thought brio and I were daughter and mother at first.
They asked brio if she had any children when she said no they were very shocked and said she better hurry! It was really crazy because they don’t know how old they are because they don’t know their birthdays. The bed broke in the other room and all the Maasai women were laughing in Maa for a good bit. I recorded some sound bites that I hope turns out.
Quahari for now.

Woke up at dawn, ran around shamba, took pictures of the place, it was so soft and dewy in the morning.
We then rushed after the giraffe tracking them by their footprints and their poop. Hung out with the ladies in the morning, it was really awesome, they were very sweet. Then I went to see Audra and Brio milking the Goats a baby was born the night before. He was so adorable.
Went to church this was an amazing experience. I loved going to the
watch all the dancers, they made me cry. When the children were singing and dancing, I felt my heart swell up and a lump in my through. I felt a few tears coming down my face. It was the first time I had cried here.
Went to eat Mexican food which was aggravating! We are in Africa lets eat real food. Children’s home: brought bouncing balls and talked with house mom, she asked me to come back. She said when you come back you can share my room with me! She was so happy to show me her place with seven kids. They were so sweet. You could tell they were rough by their experiences, most were from Kibera, all were orphans (aids) It is so sad to see such wonderful people in such hard circumstances.


We saw the kids drinking the water! They were nervous at first and they kept asking me to fill it up. They were so cute. The girls kept touching me and holding my hands! I want to really adopt a baby now. To see how much they attached to me and how much I still miss some of them proves how love is limitless. We had some issues with Moses trying to be the man or whatever and I think that these ladies really have their heads way too deep.
I talked to a guy with a camera who was very nice. He asked for my card so he could send me pictures. He was very smart and pleasant to talk to. The little girls were so cute and kept petting my hair arms and smiling at me in awe. One girl was really attached to me and kept holding my hands.
Today we drove very far to Lakipia to meet up with Greg, a friend of Turk Pipkin who does a lot of great projects in Kenya. He had a friend Tyler who was visiting from germany We Visited the kids at the school who all came out of class and sat outside to meet us. It was very sweet. When we first arrived a bunch of kids were packed against the window waving and screaming hello. We then checked out the water collection tank which can last an entire school year for all the kids. Greg showed us where the secondary school will be. When we went outside to meet the kids we brought a bunch of gum. They kept sneeking back in line of course and it was my job to somehow make sure they didn’t repeat. Yea right! It was impossible. There were way too many to keep track of. After that I started talking to a very mature 13 year old who was very sweet. Her friend and he asked if I knew Turk and I said I know of him and they said they ‘ we love him very much” She also first said she was going to visit me in America some day. She started talking to me about my photography and I told them people pay me to take their picture. She looked said and said “ but I don’t have any money” I reassured her and told her I would take her picture for free she was very happy and a bunch of them posed for me. We had to leave and before we did they all grabbed and petted my hair since I took it down to show them. I have had people ask me to touch my hair or if it is a wig. Then we drove out very very far to see her cousins land area. It was gorgeous but very dry. It seems unlikely to do a well for 400 people though.
We saw camels and zebra on the way out. Met the four wives of a man.
They took us back to their home and showed us around. A young boy 14 showed me his manata which was so hot and small. Then we went to Nyiri to a very shady and sketchy type hotel. We went across the street to a place where they only had goat and hung out and ate ugali, goat and chips (French fries)and drank tusker. After that we Went to hotel and showed tyler my pictures, He loved them. Very encouraging
Went to bed
Went to Rotary meeting: basically it was boring…
I got annoyed and wanted to go.. can’t stand pointless meetings with democracy bullshit. Then we drove a very long way out to Numunga to go see the beautiful land Bobby bought. It was a very rough drive, and very stressful to watch the cars swerving in front of you coming toward you head on. The land was boring at first but became very beautiful and hilly. I loved it. We saw a peek of Mt. Kilimanjaro and it was so beautiful. When we saw our hotel we were so excited. Bobby had been joking about it being awful. It is so beautiful! I love it here so much. I wish we could stay every night. I am laying in my comfy bed so thankful for a soft bed. It is the first! Its amazing how much I respect and am grateful for. Yesterday when I saw a 14 year old boys mutatu it was so humble and uncomfortable. It was very hot because of the fire and the beds were mad of sticks. They each had a small flat pillow. We went to dinner and had chapatti beans, smaller green beans and rice. It was one of the more satisfying meals I have had. The lunch today was very good but it somehow made me feel sick. I don’t really like buffets because something is always not good. I really enjoyed dinner and I love Mike and Bobby’s company. I really miss Ross. I love him so much. I really think I have been blessed with someone special and I have to support him and always respect him.
Ugh
Today we went on a safari which was pretty amazing but it was a long day and I am too tired to type once again. I really loved seeing the elephants and the lion even though she was hiding. One of my favorite parts was hen a mama and baby came and sat by the car. The baby started sucking on her nipple and she looked so much like a human in her mannerisms it was quite strange and funny. I love this hotel. After we came back I saw a few baby monkeys they were soooooo cute! Last night mike said every time is tea time great slogan. We had really great chapti and delicious beans, smaller green beans and rice. I also ordered chips. I keep over ordering forgetting that they give you enough for an army. We also ate a different place today and it was very dirty and the chips were nasty greasy un-crisp things. I really liked the beans and the mutton was the best meat I had so far. I bought some bracelets and got money out. After that I got to rest which was great. I hung out with Audra and saw the massive tree. Then I starred at the monkeys for a good bit. Its comfy and very pretty though I have bugs surrounding me right now and I am under a net. They still get in and it creeps me out! Last night there was a beeping bug that drove me nuts. We ate at another whole in the wall though last nights was thoroughly enjoyable this was not. The meat was one of the best bit everything was dirty and the place had tons of flies. Basically I love Africa for its beauty but I can’t wait to get home to my comfy sheets and my sexy as hell boyfriend. Get me out of here!
Today was an unfortunate day. I am aggravated at the way I am sometimes treated and I feel like I am a kid to them in many ways. I am sick of it. I hate being rushed by brio when I am always ready before her. I am always standing around waiting when everyone else seems to think they should hurry me. That really pissed me off so I took a muscle relaxer, stuck in earplugs and went to sleep. That is my plan for tomorrow too. Brio has to go see her family but I am going to try to get out of it. I don’t like socializing with my family, so sure as hell not someone else’s. those are her engagements: not mine. I want to buy some cloth and stuff so we shall see. The one fun part was when I was talking to a women about pictures and taking pictures of some kids and she gave me a beautiful thick necklace. I was stupid and gave her money and one back so brio got it! Anyway I was showing her the pipe-cleaners and she loved them. I may return and see a new kind of jewelry! We went and saw the boreholes and it definitely seems to me that they got ripped off: twice! The matutu came dangerously close to tipping and I slept some more. We also stopped to see a well and a bunch of kids chassed our car for sweets. I got a few good pictures of them. They were being brats a bit and Audra was at her breaking point. I was too. I really wish I was here with Ross he is so perfect to travel with. I did get some really great shots of the kids so that was a relief.
Last night we stayed in Nyrok in one of the nicest hotels. The food was pretty good too. The oxtail soup was a bit salty but very yummy. Then I had steak and they joked about how I was too young to drink but here I am legal and they never card here anyway. It feels really nice being able to order a drink. I woke up and decided that I didn’t want to go visit Brio’s Family early because I dreaded getting in the car and driving and the small talk. So I decided to work on stuff I needed to do, but they packed my bag up accidentally and so I had nothing to work on. So I hung out at the hotel. I bought some congas, an elephant, letter openers, and a cute vase for dried flowers. I talked to a tall and pretty cute Maasai guy dressed in all of the garb, but he had been to the US and stayed in LA and visited Houston. Then later I was sitting by myself and an old man came up and bought me an drink and hit on me. He said that I was at the perfect age to marry him! I couldn’t believe it. Then another guy serving drinks asked me to be his girlfriend to take him back to the states.

I am excited to see where this journey will take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sections